Slaughter Houses in the State
- The slaughter houses are run by local bodies for providing the hygienic meat to the consumers.
- There are 192 slaughter houses for small animals & 34 for large animals.
Large animal slaughter houses
- SEHORE VIDISHA
Role of Vety. Deptt.
- The services of VAS provided fully/ partially for ante & post mortem of animals at slaughter houses.
- His main duty is to provide fitness certificate as per the CP Slaughter Houses Act 1915 and MP Cattle Preservation Act 1959.
- To perform ante / post mortem for wholesomeness of the meat passed for public use.
- To screen the animals for zoonotic diseases.
CP Slaughter House Act- 1915
- Slaughter house means a place where more than ten animals are slaughtered in a day.
- DM has all the powers to inspect SH in the distt.
- Local bodies appoint inspectors for SH in their areas.
- License for setting up SH is given by DM.
- Penalty for not maintaining SH in good conditions is fine upto Rs. 200 by DM.
- Penal clause prescribed in the Act is proposed for revision.
Training Programmes for VAS posted in Slaughter Houses
- State DI Lab, Bhopal organizes seven days training programme to VAS working in slaughter houses in meat technology & meat inspection.
Important meat-born diseases
Scheme for modernisation of Slaughter houses
- GOI provide financial assistance to the local bodies in ratio of 50 : 25 : 25 (GOI: Local bodies : State govt.).
- Assistance is given for building, developing civil amenities & transportation of meat and meat by-products.
- Schemes prepared by Local bodies are forwarded to GOI with the recommendation of State Govt.